Sunday, February 6, 2011

"Not All There" Turns Out to be the Best Thing for Me


I found this poem by Jack Prelutzky while I was attempting to do homework while I was battling a nasty cold. Needless to say I was completely indisposed at the time and quite insane. I realized that I really wasn't paying attention or even really coherent when I began searching for an article. Instead of typing "Educational Reform in Utah Schools" into the search box I typed "I don't like homework" because it was the thought running through my mind at the time. I immediately hit "enter" like I always do out of habit and before I knew what was happening a page filled with websites about hating homework had commandeered my monitor. My eyes fell on this poem and I started smiling like a mad woman. Here it is:

Homework, Oh Homework

Homework, oh homework I hate you, you stink.
I wish I could wash you away in the sink.
If only a bomb would explode you to bits,
homework oh homework you're giving me fits.

I'd rather take baths with a man-eating shark,
or wrestle a lion alone in the dark.
Eat spinach and liver, pet ten porcupines,
than tackle the homework my teacher assigns.

Homework oh homework YOU'RE LAST ON MY LIST.
I simply don't see why you even exist.
If you'd just disappear it would tickle me pink.
Homework oh homework I hate you, you stink.
-Jack Prelutzky

The strange thing is that it made it easier to finish my homework, so I am indebted to Jack for that. I really needed a motivator!